A set of twins locked up at home by their woman were both consumed by the fire that razed their building on October 22, 2018, in Calabar, Cross River state.
It was gathered that the woman left a candle on the refrigerator in her room at 9 Edem Okon Street, II Transformer Inynasang in Calabar, which later ignited a fire that consumed her two sons, Bishop and Ituobong and the building.
A neighbour and victim, Daniel Udoh, said the tragedy was quite unfortunate and could have been avoided but for the carelessness of the mother of the children.
His words: “Their mother made them tea and bread and left for her boyfriend’s house leaving a candlelight on the refrigerator and asked them to off the candle when they were done but they slept off.
I started noticing smoke at about 1 am and before I could come out with my son my house was already in flames from the roof while the woman’s room was already engulfed in fire.
We tried putting off the fire but it was very difficult because of the rubber ceiling(PVC) which eventually escalated the fire that took over the entire compound.”
When contacted, the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) in Cross River State, DSP Irene Ugbo, confirmed the incident, adding that “the lady is at our office because we leant the people in the neighborhood wanted to lynch her.
They blamed her that it was her fault that the children died in such a tragic manner because she went to sleep at her lover’s place.”
Powered by WPeMatico