I’m Still Working On Leah Sharibu, All Chibok Girls’ Return ― BuhariPresident Muhammadu Buhari, on Saturday, assured the parents of the girls abducted from Government Secondary School, Chibok, Borno State that he has still not forgotten their daughters.
We recall that over 200 schoolgirls were kidnapped from their dormitory five years ago, April 14, 2014.
The President made the assurance in a statement to mark the fifth anniversary of the adoption and issued by Garba Shehu, Senior Special Assistant to the President (Media & Publicity).
The statement recalled that the President promised the parents when he met them, at the beginning of his first term as president, that he would bring their daughters home.
According to the statement, Buhari is aware that this promise he made is the main reason the people of Chibok voted overwhelmingly for him in the February elections, and although his government has so far succeeded in bringing back 107 of the girls, the President will not rest until the remaining are reunited with their families.
President Buhari assured the parents that his administration is still on the matter.
It informed that diverse efforts are being intensified to secure the release of the Chibok Girls, along with all hostages in Boko Haram captivity, including Leah Sharibu who was kidnapped from her school, Science Secondary School, Dapchi, Yobe State, on February 19, 2018.
Addressing Leah Sharibu’s abduction issue, in particular, the statement disclosed that interlocutors have reported encouraging progress so far.
It added: “The report reaching us says her return to her family has unfortunately been hindered by the fear of the militants.
“They worry that heavy military presence in areas where they previously moved about freely could affect their safety after they return her to the government.
“At the same time, the military cannot jeopardise the security of the entire north-eastern region by halting their operations to accommodate Boko Haram’s fears.
“Leah Sharibu will be reunited with her family as soon as any conclusions are reached on a number of options being considered for her safe transportation.
“The success of the Nigerian military in subduing Boko Haram is evidenced by the large numbers of militants who have surrendered recently, especially in neighboring Cameroon and Niger.
“A similar mass surrender of militants is expected to happen soon in Nigeria.
“While Nigerian military operations are ongoing, the government is also engaging with the militants but the talks have been affected by the factionalization of Boko Haram – with one group adopting a hard-line attitude and intensifying attacks on Nigeria, Cameroon and Chad, and another group engaging with the government for peaceful resolution.”
The statement said the President also used the opportunity of the commemoration of the Chibok tragedy to commend the girls, now women, who have triumphed over it all.
He sent special greetings to the 106 girls sponsored by the Nigerian government to continue their studies at the American University of Nigeria, Yola.
The statement further stated that he encouraged them to stay focused on becoming women who will inspire girls in Nigeria and around the world to triumph over the daily battles they face in a world that is often unfair to the girl-child.
President Buhari also extended his best wishes to Chibok girls in other schools in Nigeria and around the world.
He sent special congratulations to Kauna Yaga Bitrus, who the statement said, has excelled beyond expectations in her college in Maine, USA, and who is soon to receive a special ‘Against All Odds Award’ from her school.
Powered by WPeMatico